Working in Germany


Germany is diverse and cosmopolitan – a leading industrial nation providing a stable and secure living environment. New rules make it much easier for qualified professionals from outside the European Union to come to work in Germany.

For both skilled workers and academic professionals there are a variety of opportunities to take up employment in Germany. Access to the labour market for unskilled and low-skilled workers remains limited. More information is also available here: Skilled Immigration Act

There are a variety of work permit options, including the following:

•The Blue Card EU provides an accelerated pathway to permanent residence. The scheme is geared at qualified academic professionals being employed by a company in Germany in their field of qualification and with a designated minimum remuneration (2020 threshold: €55,200 per annum). Professionals with a background in mathematics, IT, the natural sciences or technology as well as medical doctors may qualify for a Blue Card with a remuneration starting at €43,056 (2020 threshold). Applicants need to demonstrate that they hold a German or a recognised or a comparable academic degree.

•Researchers, visiting scholars and scientists either in salaried positions or on scholarships may be granted a residence permit for research at either accredited or publicly funded research facilities.

•Skilled workers holding a vocational or academic qualification recognized by the competent German authority as equivalent to a German qualification and having secured employment in Germany may be granted access to the labour market. IT experts with distinctive practical expertise but without formal qualification may also be considered.

•Visas are also available for both a) academic professionals holding a German or a recognized or a comparable academic degree and b) skilled workers holding a vocational or professional qualification recognized by the competent German authority as equivalent to a German qualification seeking employment in Germany. These visas are issued for a maximum of six months and enable the holder to look for employment and convert the visa into a residence permit once employment has been found.

•In addition residence permits can be issued for occupations regulated by the Employment Ordinance (Beschäftigungsverordnung). These include Au-Pair, voluntary service, management positions in companies, certain secondments, athletes or certain internships.

•Answers to the most frequently asked questions about moving to, and taking up employment in, Germany as a skilled worker can be found here: FAQ


National Visa
National Visa© AA

Au-Pair & Voluntary Service Visa Application

EU Blue Card Entry Visa Application

Work Visa for Qualified Professionals

Jobseeker Visa Application

Research Visa Application

Scientific Research Visa Application

Top of page